AlUla Design Award is open to all designers, artists, artisans, and creatives interested in participating. Local, regional and international participants are all welcomed. Participants must be aged 18+.
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, April 12, 2023 at 17:00 (GMT +3)
Yes, changes can be made until the door for applications is closed on April 12 through the submission portal.
Yes, the registration fee is SAR 200, which is paid after the proposal(s) are submitted.
Yes, applicants are welcome to submit multiple designs/proposals, up to a maximum of 10 submissions per entrant for a flat fee of SAR 200.
The categories available to apply to are the following: Jewellery, Footwear, Clothing, Homeware Accessories, Leather Goods, Other.
- Designer Conceptual Submissions on Portal by 12 April
- Shortlisted designers finalise their early prototypes (delivered to AlUla): 28 April – 14 July
- Second Screening for shortlisted submissions by Jury members to 10 designers: 16 – 22 July
- Final Prototypes delivery: 25 – 30 August
- Finalists Showcase and Winner Announcement : 7-16 September
The evaluation process starts with the conceptual judging round by the internal judges of AlUla Design Award based on the following criteria:
1. Clarity of Inspiration
2. Quality of Design
3. Demonstration of Individual Style
5. Emotional Impact
The 20 shortlisted designers then move on to create their prototypes and are then evaluated by the selection of external jury members based on the following criteria:
- Innovation & Functionality
- Environmental & Social Impact
- Quality of Production
- Emotional Impact
The production of a prototype and the cost breakdown for the production of the proposed design, as well as the delivery to the specified location before 14 July, 2023 is the responsibility of the designer.
Yes, all applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision and if they will proceed to the next round of the AlUla Design Award.
No. Based upon the criteria, designers are not allowed to submit any previously published or produced work. The purpose of the competition is for designers to conceptualise a product inspired by the art, culture and heritage of AlUla.
- Recognition Award
- Invitation to the Products Exhibition, happening at Paris Design Week & Maison d’Objet
- Design and designer highlighted through communication channels
- Receiving a Recognition Award from Arts AlUla
- Invitation to the Products Exhibition and Winners Announcement, happening at Paris Design Week & Maison d’Objet in September 2023
- The winning designs, products and designers will be highlighted through Arts AlUla’s communication channels.
- The logo of AlUla Design Award will be added on the winners’ product packaging
- Arts AlUla will purchase the initial stock from a selection of winners. A budget will be set for every designer and will be discussed when designers reach the final stage of the award.